[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit grammatical terms

Herman Tull hermantull at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:41:53 UTC 2018

Following up on Matthew Kapstein's comment, Whitney states of the
arrangement of the classes of roots,

"These are the "classes" or "conjugation-classes", as laid down by the
native Hindu grammarians. They are arranged by the latter in a certain
wholly artificial and unsystematic order (the ground of which has never
been discovered); and they are wont to be designated in European works
according to this order, or else, after Hindu example, by the root standing
at the head of each class in the Hindu lists. A different arrangement and
nomenclature will be followed here, namely as below — the classes being
divided (as is usual in European grammars) into two more general classes or
conjugations, distinguished from one another by wider differences than
those which separate the special classes."