[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit grammatical terms

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 19 04:15:20 UTC 2018

Dear McComas,

If I recall correctly, thematic and athematic were first employed by European Sanskritists on the basis of a perceived analogy with Greek. There is no corresponding traditional distinction.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago