[INDOLOGY] Philology and Network Science

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 19:17:16 UTC 2018

The statistical techniques of text analysis described as being used by
Ribeiro were developed in the 1960s and 1970s.  I used such ideas in an
article I published in 1978.  It's very old-hat.  The statistical methods
are worthwhile and will - when applied - help us indologists too, with
cases like Kalidasa and Sankara.  The work of Oliver Hellwig on the
chronology of Sanskrit alchemical literature is a wonderful case study of
this kind of thing, but much more sophisticated than Ribeiro's work.
Ribeiro appears not to have the slightest awareness of the field of Digital
Humanities, at least as he is represented in this article.

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada