[INDOLOGY] Etymology of Mukunda

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 3 17:11:59 UTC 2018

Right; the EWA is not accessible to me right now.

Renou (introduction générale to Wackernagel), p. 29-30, accepts gopendra as the source, with folk etymology (not his term) of MIAr. govinda (fr. Skt. gopendra) as based on go and vid; and in note 438 he states that this has been accepted by Mayrhofer in his EWA. — ‘Ainsi govinda- “pâtre” (surnom de Kṛṣṇa), forme m.i., s’est accréditée en place du synonnyme gopendra- [438], parce qu’on pouvait la relier à vid- (vindati)[439] et l’analyser en go-vinda- “qui trouve our procure des vaches”.'