[INDOLOGY] Etymology of Mukunda

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 16:08:15 UTC 2018

I remind everyone that Manfred Mayrhofer spent his entire life writing
etymological dictionaries of Sanskrit, the Etymologisches Wörterbuch des
Altindoarischen and the Kurzgefasstes etymologisches Wörterbuch des
Altindischen. Even if you don't read German (and the KEWA has English
glosses), you are always better off trying to make sense of his comments
than Whitney's (or almost anyone else's) guesses. For most of the words
mentioned in this thread, he has reliable and relatively up-to-date
comments. He refers to the two possible explanations for gōvinda-
(including references to Vedic gōvíd- and gōvindú-, gā́ ávindan, Avestan
vīdat̰.gu-, etc.) and adduces ἐρέβινθος ‘chickpea’ and Kannada are-viri ‘be
half open’ in the case of aravinda-.