[INDOLOGY] in praise of water

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sat Jan 13 04:18:35 UTC 2018

Hello Alex,

As a complement to V.S. Rajam's message,
I would suggest having a look at F.W. Ellis's
dissertation on the Kuṟaḷ,
which is freely available online at
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=H4IIAAAAQAAJ

Francis Whyte Ellis (1777–1819)
was a British civil servant in the Madras Presidency and a scholar of
Tamil and Sanskrit.

His translation (and copious explanations) of the initial part of the
Kuṟaḷ, in which the (second) chapter called "The praise of rain",
occupies pp.44-55 in the PDF file, and directly follows the first
chapter ("The praise of God", pp. 6-43 of the PDF),
contains long quotations from many other works,
and gives a fairly good idea of what it was to discover, in those days,
Indian Classical Literatures through the mediation of Tamil scholars,
when all the modern easy ENGLISH BYPASS ROADS TO KNOWLEDGE did not yet
exist ..

-- Jean-Luc (in Paris)

https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard

https://twitter.com/JLC1956