[INDOLOGY] PIhrase in Lingastakam

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 04:55:38 UTC 2018

*Ashtdal Aripan*

This Alpana is used for Dev puja such as Satyanarayan puja, Anant
Chaturdashi, Devotthan puja etc.
The Alpana is made up of eight straight lines joined with eight curved
lines and decorated by arches dots etc. Eight symbols (Shankh, Chakra,
Gada, Padma, Kripan, Damaroo, Pash and Trishu are essential)

at

http://www.angelfire.com/home/mithila/alpana.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0jaC_yHJn8

5:58 onwards at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn7l27aYDlQ

[image: Inline image 1]

Sri Yantra has Shiva and Shakti triangles.

Both S'aakteyas and S'aivas worship the same with their own emphasis.

Ashtadala seen in the above image when viewed with a Shiva perspective may
help to understand the phrase.

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>

> Verse 7 of the liṅgāṣṭakam is:
>
> aṣṭadalopariveṣṭitaliṅgaṁ
>
> sarvasamudbhavakāraṇaliṅgam
>
> aṣṭadaridravināśitaliṅaṁ
>
> tatpraṇamāmi sadāśivaliṅgam
>

> I;ve seen various interpretations of the phrase  aṣṭadalopariveṣṭitaliṅgaṁ
>
> M. Aktor in his article "The Sivalinga between artifact and nature"
> translates the phrase as "the lingam which is enclosed upon an eight
> petaled lotus" and interprets that as a reference to a  Shiva lingam with
> an eight petaled lotus design on its pedestal. I've seen other
> interpretations of this phrase, some as a reference to a lingam in an eight
> petaled cakra in the body, and others just as a lingam surrounded by eight
> petaled lotuses.
>

> But I've been asked if this phrase might be a reference to either:
>
> a) A yantra that has a lingam in the center and is surrounded by an eight
> petaled lotus.
>
> Are any of the list members aware of any references in the Sanskrit
> literature to a Yantra with an eight petaled lotus pattern and a lingam in
> the center?  There is a websiite lingabhairavi.org that has such a yantra
> but I've been unable to find any other references to such a yantra so I'm
> wondering if this isn't just a modern innovation.
>
> or
>
> b) A ritual where the lingam is placed on a mandala made of either
> coloured grains or other coloured material in an eight petaled lotus
> pattern and worshiped.
>
> Is anyone aware of such a ritual?
>

> Also is anyone aware of other interpretations of this phrase.
>

> Thanks,,
>
> Harry Spier
>

> Thanks,
>
> Harry Spier

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )