[INDOLOGY] Steven Collins

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 05:51:37 UTC 2018

This is really shockingly sad!

Though my association with him was very short, I remember his collegial
leadership to SALC after Prof. Clinton Seely.

Sadgatipraaptirastu.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> This is indeed very sad news.  Steve was a brilliant scholar and charming
> friend to all.  Steve and I coincided at Oxford, many years ago, where we
> became friends.  I will miss him.
>
> Dominik
>
>> --
> Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
> ​,​
>
> Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
> ​,​
>
> Department of History and Classics
> <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
> ​,​
> University of Alberta, Canada
> ​.​
>
> South Asia at the U of A:
>
> ​sas.ualberta.ca​
> ​​
>

> On 16 February 2018 at 10:05, Eltschinger, Vincent via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> Since apparently nobody reported about the extremely sad news of the
>> sudden passing of Steven Collins, I allow myself to forward the message
>> posted this morning by Charles Hallisey on H-Buddhism.
>>

>> *Notice> Steven Collins (1951-2018)
>> <https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/1386999>*
>>
>> by Charles Hallisey
>>
>> I write, with a shock, sadness, and grief beyond any words that I know,
>> to pass on the news that Steven Collins has died suddenly in New Zealand,
>> where he had just gone to teach a special series of seminars.
>>

>> Steven Collins was many things to many of us.  He was, of course, Chester
>> D. Tripp Professor in the Humanities in the Department of South Asian
>> Languages and Civilization at the University of Chicago.
>>
>> But to me, he was, above all, my friend.
>>

>> The Buddha was right when he said that life is uncertain, death is
>> certain,
>>

>> but Marx was also right when he said that death is hard for the living,
>>

>> Charles Hallisey
>> Harvard Divinity School
>>

>> Vincent Eltschinger, korrespondierendes Mitglied der OeAW
>> Directeur d'études
>> École Pratique des Hautes Études, Section des sciences religieuses
>> Patios Saint-Jacques, 4-14 rue Ferrus - 75014 Paris
>> vincent.eltschinger at ephe.sorbonne.fr
>> 0033 1 56 61 17 34 <+33%201%2056%2061%2017%2034> / 0033 7 85 86 84 05
>> <+33%207%2085%2086%2084%2005>

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )