[INDOLOGY] Suggestions for improving services of Asiatic Society, Kolkata

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 05:33:34 UTC 2018

The photocopying restrictions at the BL are not arbitrary.  They are based
on the advice of conservationists who try to stop books being handled,
especially by readers who rarely wear gloves, who are not trained in the
handling of rare materials, and who are using photocopy machines that do
not have a proper angled spine-bed to support a book without stressing the
spine.  The issue arises at the BL because even quite rare books are given
to readers to copy for themselves, under the loose supervision of a staff
member.

If you had ordered a microfilm or digital copy of the book, the library
would have sold you the whole thing.  You would have to mortgage your
house, but they would not arbitrarily withhold materials from readers.

I am told that reprography prices are falling substantially at the BL.  At
the Wellcome Library, I recently learned that there is a £100 cap on
single-item orders.

Best,
Dominik

​
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
​,​

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
​,​

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
​,​
University of Alberta, Canada