[INDOLOGY] Siwallk fossiles in Indian texts?

Witzel, Michael witzel at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 8 01:01:03 UTC 2018

Dear All,
A scientist colleague of mine has asked me:

"I have had a research program since 1973 collecting fossils in the so-called Siwalik Series rocks and we are now busy describing and analysing the large samples of (mostly) mammal fossils we have collected.  They span time from around 30 million to two million years ago.
Fossils from these rocks and their equivalents across India have been known to European collectors and scientists since the 1700's, but I was wondering if there is any evidence that such fossils were recognised and recorded as such before the arrival of Europeans."

Any hint (such as about Buddha’s tooth in Sri Lanka), would welcome!

Best wishes,

Michael W.