[INDOLOGY] Asanga Authoured books

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 21:30:19 UTC 2018

Dear Alakendu Das,

Of the approximately twenty texts attributed to Asaṅga in the Tibetan
Buddhist canon, seven have been regarded as particularly important. Five of
these together comprise the *Yogācāra-bhūmi*, in its five major divisions.
The other two are the *Abhidharma-samuccaya* and the *Mah**ā**y**ā**na-sa*
*ṃ**graha*.

The *Abhidharma-samuccaya* was translated into French by Walpola Rahula and
published in 1971. This French translation was translated into English by
Sara Boin-Webb and published in 2001 as *Abhidharmasamuccaya: The
Compendium of the Higher Teaching (Philosophy)*. This French translation
was also translated into English by Ani Migme and is/was? available on the
web.

The *Mah**ā**y**ā**na-sa**ṃ**graha* was translated into French by Etienne
Lamotte and published 1938-1940. This French translation was translated
into English by Ani Migme and is/was? available on the web. The *Mah**ā**y*
*ā**na-sa**ṃ**graha* was translated into English from Chinese by John P.
Keenan and published in 1992 as *The Summary of the Great Vehicle*, with a
second revised edition in 2003.

The first of the five major divisions of the *Yog**ā**c**ā**ra-bh**ū**mi*
has seventeen sections (bhūmi), the fifteenth of which is the
*Bodhisattva-bh**ū**mi*. The *Bodhisattva-bh**ū**mi* was translated into
English by Artemus B. Engle and published in 2016 as *The Bodhisattva Path
to Unsurpassed Enlightenment: A Complete Translation of the Bodhisattvabh*
*ū**mi*. The contents of all seventeen sections were summarized in English
by Ulrich Timme Kragh in the Introductory Essay to the 2013 book, *The
Foundation for Yoga Practitioners: The Buddhist Yog**ā**c**ā**rabh**ū**mi
Treatise and Its Adaptation in India, East Asia, and Tibet*. The authorship
of the *Yog**ā**c**ā**ra-bh**ū**mi* is attributed to Maitreya rather than
to Asaṅga in Chinese tradition.

The authorship of the *Mah**ā**y**ā**na-s**ū**tr**ā**la**ṃ**k**ā**ra* is
attributed to Maitreya rather than to Asaṅga in Tibetan tradition. Perhaps
you have access to the 1992 English translation by Surekha Vijay Limaye,
who accepts Asaṅga as author. This translation cannot be relied on, since,
for example, it translates *pudgala* as “matter,” its meaning in Jainism,
rather than as “person,” its meaning in Buddhism. There are two other
English translations, one by Robert Thurman et al. published in 2004, and
one by the Dharmachakra Translation Committee published in 2014. A
comparison of these can be found here:
https://www.academia.edu/28556457/Mahayana-sutralamkara_English_Translations_A_Critical_Review
.
Best regards,