[INDOLOGY] Further Clarifications regarding the WSC Forum

Isabelle Ratie isabelle.ratie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:08:51 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Although I participated in the Vancouver WSC, I did not attend the panel
that has been the main object of the recent heated discussions on Indology.
The reports about it are appalling and as I told Ananya Vajpeyi in person
when in Vancouver, it seems to me that what happened there was utterly
shocking and inexcusable. I also regret that Adheesh Sathaye was made to
feel that he should apologize for his use of the word "hooliganistic":
bullies are bullies, whether they wear soccer caps or wait in turn to use
derogatory words. That said, it seems to me, as to Arlo Griffiths, that
Ananya Vajpeyi's statement that "Indology in the past 5-10 years has been
reduced to nothing but glorified trolling and unapologetic xenophobia" is a
grossly distorted description of reality. It certainly arose from a
legitimate exasperation in view of the outrageous behaviour in which some
have engaged in the past years while claiming to be Indologists; but it
fails to reflect the work and achievements of a huge majority of
Indological scholars and students, and I fear that such assertions can only
harm the just cause defended by their author: it is difficult, yet crucial,
to acknowledge (and fight) all ideologically biased attacks on our
discipline, but also to recognize their actual impact on our studies, if
only to avoid vindicating their perpetrators, who may feel that they have
been successful if we start looking back on such a rich scholarly event as
the Vancouver WSC while having in mind nothing but the few (and all
absolutely unacceptable) attacks on women, Dalits and science that occurred
there. This is not to deny that these attacks happened, or that it is
urgent to find efficient ways of defending ourselves against them in future
(regarding the WSC in particular, the suggestions by Jürgen Hanneder,
Roland Steiner and Walter Slaje are certainly worth considering); but in
any case for my part, I heard many excellent papers and learnt a lot at the
Vancouver WSC, and I am very grateful to Adheesh Sathaye and his whole team
for the enormous work that they put into the preparation of this important
academic gathering - and for bravely bearing a tremendous amount of
pressure during and after it.

With best wishes to all,
Isabelle
--
Isabelle Ratié
Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literatures