[INDOLOGY] Regarding Further Clarifications on the WSC Forum

Shyam Ranganathan shyamr at yorku.ca
Mon Aug 27 17:05:03 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Like many of us, I share a sense of outrage and frustration over the
obnoxious treatment of scholars in our field who represent and relate
information about traditions and histories that are inconvenient to some
group’s dominant narrative. And while clearly how audience members treat
panelists, and how we treat each other is a moral and political issue,
after working on the systematic disappearance of Indian moral philosophy
in the literature for twenty years now, I think that the problem that
gives rise to problems in scholarship (in print and at conferences)
isn’t at base a moral or political problem: it’s a function of a bad
account of thought and understanding that is ubiquitous.

This is the linguistic account of thought: accordingly thought is the
meaning of what you say.It leads to a host of problems, some logical,
others political. The main problem with this approach to thought is that
it conflates how you see the world (encoded in your idiolect) with the
thinkable rendering disagreement unintelligible. Those who do not share
your vantage are thereby treated either as people to be converted,
silenced or wiped out---not to be understood. It creates a fragile ego
that can’t tolerate or contemplate disagreement.

I wasn't at this specific session of the WSC, but what Dr. Vajpeyi
describes in her article fits the linguistic account of thought. In this
case, the audience will conflate the thinkable with their outlook
encoded in their idiolect. Not only will they not be able to countenance
a divergence in perspectives, they will insist on their own idiolect
(insisting for instance on "harijan" instead of "dalit"; insisting on
their perspective instead of accepting a divergence and disagreement in
perspectives between themselves and the panelists). Dr. Vajpeyi in her
article also reports that “Sanskrit professors at leading universities
[were] making absurd claims, for example that caste is unrelated to
birth; that Hindu society is inherently gender-blind; or that if the
term “varna” does not occur, there is no discrimination.” This too only
makes sense if the outlooks of these individuals (the way they would
rather view the world) is conflated with the thinkable, and this is a
curse of the linguistic account of thought---that one's idiolectical
world view is conflated with thought.

The reason this account of thought is ubiquitous is that it is imperious
and is there by transmitted via imperialism and colonialism. It is also
ancient, traceable to the Greek idea of /logos/, which marries the idea
of thought, language and reason. It is the kernel of the /W/est. It
sometimes seems like lupus: the disease with a thousand faces for two
reasons. First it has a historical root in European thought and we can
trace its transmission from Europe towards the east, but what it does is
it empowers a colonized perspective as the content of thought, and then
it seems to be quite separate from its European origins: it self-effaces
behind the local, non-European perspective creating a novel, constructed
identity that would have been unthinkable in the absence of this history
of imperialism. How it expresses itself depends on the world view of the
adherent. I argue in my work that it is ubiquitous in the literature,
forming the basis of what I call “Orthodox Indology”: this leads to the
scrubbing of Indian moral theorizing that disagrees with dominant
Eurocentric values and perspectives. When we look at specific cases
where people are having trouble communicating, understanding or there is
hostility, it seems that the problem is the particular world view of the
participants. Hence, much energy is given to berating those who don’t
share one’s world view in this orientation (secular scholars point a
finger at the Hindu right for intolerance, the Hindu right points a
finger at secular scholars for being anti-Hindu…). But the deeper
problem is the conflation of one’s world view with thought. Failing an
explicit criticism of this paradigm, interlocutors---and audience
members of scholarly panels---will show up expecting to hear their world
view articulated and will react with disappointment and the negative
emotions that come in tow with a fragile ego when they are confronted
with an alternate perspective. As I note in my work, this conflation of
thought with belief is not only politically problematic, it goes against
basic expectations of formal logic, where the validity of an inference
comes apart from the truth of what is claimed. If we buy the linguistic
account of thought, and we thereby conflate thought and belief (how we
see things, what we take to be true), we are committed to irrationality
for we can only ever evaluate something as reasonable if we think it's
true.

I roll out this argument in greater detail in my recent /Hinduism/. The
specific chapter relevant to the challenge of communication in a diverse
world is:

Ranganathan, Shyam. 2018. 'Subcontinent Dharma, the Global Alt-Right,
and the Philosophy of Thought.' In /Hinduism a Contemporary
Philosophical Investigation/, 112-137. London: Routledge.

The alternate model that helps us respect the dictates of formal logic
while allowing us to communicate in a diverse world constituted by a
diversity of perspectives takes a page out of Patañjali’s yoga. This
unlocks the philosophical diversity of various traditions, especially
those studied under the shadow of colonialism, and undermines hegemonic
narratives of diversity.  Whereas the linguistic model of thought
expects agreement as the condition of thinking, the alternative yoga
inspired model expects a diversity of perspectives and disagreement as
the condition of thinking and understanding. But thought on this account
is not linguistic-relative: its relative to disciplines. And hence an
Indology that proceeded along these lines couldn't treat the study of
Sanskrit or Indian languages as central to the study of India's
intellectual history.  The idea that philology and the study of Indian
languages is central to the study of India is the /W/est. On the yoga
inspired model, we would have to treat our historical subjects as peers:
philologists would hence study philologists, philosophers would study
philosophers, historians would study historians.  Disciplinary parity
between reader and author, audience and speaker, on this account,  is
essential to participate in joint activities of disagreement and
research.  Failing such parity, there is no way to coordinate the
disagreement as triangulating on objects of research from differing
perspectives.

This chapter also makes special reference to the controversy surrounding
Prof. Doniger, which bears similarities with this case.

Best wishes,
Shyam

--

Shyam Ranganathan

Department of Philosophy
York Center for Asian Research
York University, Toronto

shyam-ranganathan.info <http://shyam-ranganathan.info/>

/Hinduism: A Contemporary Philosophical Investigation
<https://www.routledge.com/Hinduism-A-Contemporary-Philosophical-Investigation/Ranganathan/p/book/9781138909106>/

/The Bloomsbury Research Handbook of Indian Ethics
<http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-bloomsbury-research-handbook-of-indian-ethics-9781472587770/>/

/Patañjali`s Yoga Sūtras
<http://penguin.co.in/book/classics/patanjalis-yoga-sutra/>/ (Translation,
Edition and Commentary)

/Translating Evaluative Discourse: The Semantics of Thick and Thin
Concepts <https://philpapers.org/rec/SHYTED>/

Full List, Publications <https://philpapers.org/profile/22035>