[INDOLOGY] two papers on Indian logic by Stanislaw Schayer in English translation

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:31:41 UTC 2018

Dear Piotr

Thank you heartily for these! Indeed I think Schayer remains
underappreciated (I would say the same about his student Constantine
Regamey, well-known, in fact, but rather as a composer of modern music; the
published biography does not so much as mention his scholarship, which was
however appreciated in a paper by the late Jacques May, the reference to
which I do not have to hand). It might be not pointless to mention also
here O filozofowaniu HindusÓw: artykuly wybrane/On philosophizing of the
Hindus: selected papers. By Stanislaw Schayer, edited by Marek Mejor. pp.
xxxiii, 539, illus. Warsaw, Polish Scientific Publishers for the Polish
Academy of Sciences, Committee for Oriental Studies, 1988 [I have
copy-pasted this, so apologies for infelicities]. I have seen this volume,
long ago, but to my memory none of the contributions are translated...

Very best thanks! Jonathan

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:09 AM, Piotr Balcerowicz via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I would like to share an open link (http://www.balcerowicz.eu/
> indology/schayer2001.pdf) to two papers of *Stanisław Schayer: "Studies
> on Indian Logic" and "On the Method of the Nyāya Research"*, first
> published in 1932–1933. These are English translations from their German
> originals, which are slightly enlarged and remodelled versions of Schayer’s
> two earlier communiqués in Polish. The English translations contain
> occasional addenda taken from Polish originals which were absent in
> Schayer’s own German translations. Both papers were translated by Piotr
> Balcerowicz in 2000 and appeared in the *Materials of The International
> Seminar: Argument And Reason In Indian Logic, 20–24 June 2001*.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Piotr Balcerowicz

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk