[INDOLOGY] Thanks and next steps / Caste and Gender

Camillo Formigatti camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 18:47:41 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

I followed from a certain distance the discussion about the events at the WSC in Vancouver, mostly because I have not attended the conference, but also for other reasons that I believe will become clear in the course of this e-mail. I decided to put my two cents in after reading Dr Steiner's e-mail. I agree with him that the Indology list has entered into a civilized form of debate on the topic and I am very grateful to him for having introduced the topic of Swadeshi Indology. However, there is, in my modest opinion, an aspect that has only been scratched, but never fully dealt with in the whole discussion. I'd like to use the words of an American white male historian, Howard Zinn, to introduce what I mean:

"Some people claim to be objective. The worst thing is to claim to be objective. Of course you can't be. Historians should say what their values are, what they care about, what their background is, and let you know what is important to them so that young people and everybody who reads history are warned in advance that they should never count on any one source, but should go to many sources. [...] There's an interesting way in which you can frame a sentence which will show what you emphasize and which will have two very different results. Here's what I mean. Take Columbus as an example. You can frame it, and it this was the way the Harvard historian Samuel Eliot Morison in effect framed it in his biography of Columbus: Columbus committed genocide, but he was a wonderful sailor. He did a remarkable and extraordinary thing in finding these islands in the Western Hemisphere. He committed genocide, but... he's a good sailor. I say, He was a good sailor, but he treated people with the most horrible cruelty and committed genocide. Those are two different ways of saying the same facts. Depending on which side of the "but" you're on, you show your bias. I believe that's good for us to put our biases in the direction of a humane view of history."
[Howard Zinn, Failure to Quit. Reflections of an Optimistic Historian, 1993 (2013), p. 11–12]

This is to say that I strongly believe there is no such thing as neutral, objective Indological academic scholarship, pretty much as Swadeshi Indology is not neutral at all, but has instead a clear political agenda which does not represent Indian culture in toto, but only the culture of a powerful, influential and wealthy minority, which is managing to control the present in India by means of controlling the past. We ought to acknowledge and admit it, it is always about politics, even—or even more— in our own academic ivory towers. For instance, precisely thanks to the author I have quoted it is clear to all of you what my background is and this fact sheds a different light on my scholarly approach and research. The problem with Swadeshi Indology and with some of the responses in this discussion is that they are disguised as legitimate calls for doubt and plurality of opinions, while in reality they are simply a clearly one-sided defence of the position of the Indian nationalists and elitists who were in the audience at the WSC and harassed Professors Kaushal Panwar, Ananya Vajpeyi, and Mandakranta Bose. In the spirit of plurality of opinions, I carefully read the e-mails by Prof. Shrinivasa Varakhedi to which Dr Sathaye pointed. I had to smile when I read this passage:

"We as scholars do not have any problem with any sort of academic deliberation. We would be happy to discuss the issues such as gender and casteism if an academic paper is presented. But, this is a public forum. It would be good if the Platform is equally shared by two different groups who take divergent positions. In contrast, only one sided party is given an opportunity to share their views. We are afraid that a wrong message will be communicated to the world about Sanskrit. Is this the objective of the WSC ? [...]
The scholars are upset about this and we oppose this kind of non-academic engagement in the WSC. We express our serious  concerns about this program. The reiteration of old discarded stories are projected as the true face of Sanskrit. The ideological differences are respected, but the projection of one ideology as the fact is unreasonable and unjustifiable."

Funnily enough, Prof. Varakhedi complains about the lack of space for divergent positions at the WSC, while all Swadeshi Indology conferences are closed to scholars who do not agree with the organisers' interpretation of the Indian cultural heritage (whatever this might mean). I wanted to propose a paper at the first edition of the Swadeshi Indology conference, but alas, after some weeks the website had magically disappeared. In subsequent editions, it was clear that only selected Western scholars were invited. Could it be that the organisers of the Swadeshi Indology conference think that most Western scholars would communicate "the wrong message to the world about Sanskrit"? If this is so and I understand the consequences correctly, this means that we cannot challenge the Swadeshi Indological view of Sanskrit at the Swadeshi Indology conference and we should not be allowed to do it at the WSC either, because this would send the wrong message about Sanskrit to the world. Very interesting as a position that calls for plurality of opinions. To me it rather sounds as a cleverly disguised way of silencing dissent, but maybe I am too into conspiracies. On the other hand, I fully agree with Prof. Varakhedi when he states that " the projection of one ideology as the fact is unreasonable and unjustifiable." It is precisely for this reason that I think Swadeshi Indology is unreasonable and unjustifiable, because it claims to be a fact and the only correct ideology to interpret correctly Indian history.

As suggested by H. Zinn's quote above, I urge you take into account my background when I make this claim. I am Italian and I am very, very, very happy that there isn't yet  a "La Nostra Storia Italiana" movement, claiming that only Italian scholars should be allowed to read, research, and write about Latin literature and the Roman Empire, and that the latter only achieved great results in the architecture, arts, literature and other fields of human knowledge. Truly, it achieved all this,  but it was also a big exercise in slavery and exploitation of lower social classes and women. I have written that there isn't "yet" such movement simply because this is where Italy is heading towards and I am scared, very scared that we are not far away from this type of movement.

Best wishes,

Camillo Formigatti