[INDOLOGY] Thanks and next steps / Caste and Gender

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 20 15:49:24 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

It is a good thing that the Indology list has entered into a civilized
debate about the reported incidents during the last WSC, or in the
words of Dr. Vajpeyi: “These statements [by Adheesh Sathaye and
Jayandra Soni] come as an excellent first step towards addressing a
whole range of simmering issues in Indology, Sanskrit and, I would
argue, South Asian History as well.”  As far as the role of the local
hosting team from Vancouver is concerned, Dr. Sathaye’s remarks leave
nothing to be desired. Everyone with pertinent experience will be able
to relate to the enormous challenge of organizing such a large
international conference.

However, I do not intend to comment about single points raised in
these statements, since I did not attend this WSC. Moreover, the
situation here in Europe seems to differ from that in India and North
America in various aspects. Instead, I would like to point towards a
more fundamental problem which is possibly underlying here. I am
referring to the anti-academic ideology called “Swadeshi Indology”.

In his email to this list (dated 16 August 2018), Dr. Hanneder
mentioned “that the Deutsche Morgenländische Gesellschaft (DMG) has
recently withdrawn its institutional membership in the IASS in
protest.” For some of you, it might be interesting to hear about the
background of this decision.

In 2016 the Section “Indology and South Asian Studies” of the Deutsche
Morgenländische Gesellschaft (German Oriental Society, DMG) discussed
the consequences of the IASS President’s public support for the
positions raised in the Petition against Sheldon Pollock as Chief
Editor of the Murty Classical Library of India. As a result the
Section’s spokesman wrote a letter (dated 16 October 2016) to the
Board of the IASS in which he expressed the disconcertment of the
Section by noting that ideological and national principles as
represented by the so-called Swadeshi Indology are obviously supported
by the President of the IASS, whereas a critical
historical-philological approach as followed by many renowned
Indologists in India and other countries is apparently discouraged.
Therefore, he called on the Board of the IASS to clearly express their
position with regard to these points and ended his letter with the
remark that a reply to this request “is highly appreciated”.

In his reply (dated 21 November 2016) the Secretary General of the
IASS only referred to an email already written by himself on 5th March
2016, sent among others to this Indology discussion forum (see
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/2016-March/137434.html ). He ends his letter with the remark that “the IASS Board feels no need to respond specifically to your [= the Section’s] apparent demand about the ‘Position of the [IASS] Board with regard to the Petition against Sheldon
Pollock.’”

The DMG Section discussed this issue on its subsequent meeting in
September 2017 in Jena (Germany) at the “Deutsche Orientalistentag”
(DOT). As a result of this meeting, the Section’s spokesman wrote a
further letter (dated 10 January 2018) in which he informed the
Secretary General of the IASS, that in the concluding vote “the
Section has made the decision that the German national membership in
the IASS executed by the Section ‘Indology and South Indian Studies’
of the DMG has to be cancelled as from now. [...] We have to assert
that a clear statement on the position of the IASS Board with regard
to the points mentioned above is not only still missing, but also
considered unnecessary by the Board.” In the Section’s judgement,
however, “a clarification of this question is essential and still due.
[...] We must note that, according to your letter, the IASS Board
apparently seems to be untroubled by their President keeping on
personally supporting the ideological and national principles as
represented by the so-called Swadeshi Indology while rejecting the
critical historical-philological approach of indological studies.”

A clarification of the Board’s position with regard to the IASS
President’s public support of ideological and nationalist principles
as represented by the so-called Swadeshi Indology is still due.

Best,
Roland Steiner (Spokesman of the section “Indology and South Asian
Studies” of the DMG)

--
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Seminar für Indologie

Tel.: +49-345-55-23656
Fax: +49-345-55-27211
E-Mail: roland.steiner at indologie.uni-halle.de