[INDOLOGY] Etymology of mukura / makura

Asko Parpola aparpola at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 06:46:57 UTC 2018

Dear Toke,

It seems possible that Sanskrit makura- 'mirror' is a Dravidian loanword,
derived from the root *maku*l*- 'to turn round, be turned upside down,
return, turn back' (DEDR 4617), cf. Tulu maguṛu, magaṛu, magṛu 'next,
following; again, once more'; maguṛ-uttaro 'reply', and maguṛudani 'echo';
maguru muṭṭuni 'to crop up again, to oppose, counteract; Telugu maguḍa,
magiḍi 'again, anew, back, in return'.  Of course one would like to get a
better confirmation than Tamil makuram 'mirror', which can come from
Sanskrit.

Asko Parpola, aparpola at gmail.com
http://www.helsinki.academia.edu/AskoParpola