[INDOLOGY] Gender, Power, and Rape when Conducting Research

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 03:10:19 UTC 2018

I think Prof. Slaje's

It is well known that “secret intercourse with a woman who is asleep,
drunk, or mentally deranged” is categorized as a form of “marriage” in
ancient Indian law books.

Manu (3.34) uses “*upa-gam*” – *inire feminam* (pw) / to approach a woman
sexually (MW) – for the consummation of “marriage”. *upa-gam* is a common
verb for “having sex” in a general sense.

is a reference to paiśācha as a vivāha.

Attention may be paid to the name of the  vivāha . piśācha --> paiśācha

Each of the  vivāhas is described as found among a certain community.

Does anyone have info on which community is described as following  paiśācha
as a vivāha?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM, Walter Slaje via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> There is also this:
>
> https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/mahmood-farooqui-and-his-
> acquittal-in-rape-case-1803070
>
> And this:
>
> https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/mahmood-farooqui-rape-acquittal-
> extremely-well-decided-says-supreme-court-dismissing-
> appeal-against-earlier-verdict/articleshow/62566322.cms
>
> The Mahātmā moreover stated:
>
> „I have always held that it is physically impossible to violate a woman
> against her will. [ . . . ] If she cannot meet the assailant's physical
> might, her purity will give her the strength to die before he succeeds in
> violating her. [ . . . ] I know that women are capable of throwing away
> their lives for a much lesser purpose. Only a few days ago a young girl
> of twenty burnt herself to death as she felt she was being persecuted for
> refusing to go in for ordinary studies. And she perished with such cool
> courage and determination. She ignited her sari with an ordinary oil-light
> and did not so much as raise a cry, so that the people in the neighbouring
> room were unaware of the happening until all was over.” *Harijan*, 25-8-1940
> and 1-9-1940.
>
> (Quoted from M. K. GANDHI, The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi
> (Electronic Book). 98 volumes. New Delhi: Publications Division Government
> of India 1999. [http://www.gandhiserve.org/ cwmg/
> <http://gandhiserve.org/cwmg/> cwmg.html] 79, Nr. 130: 126 f).
>

> Modern American and traditional Indian notions of rape, honour, consent
> and “sexual interaction” (e.g., the exchange of kisses can count as such)
> seem to differ widely.
>

> It is well known that “secret intercourse with a woman who is asleep,
> drunk, or mentally deranged” is categorized as a form of “marriage” in
> ancient Indian law books.
>
> Manu (3.34) uses “*upa-gam*” – *inire feminam* (pw) / to approach a woman
> sexually (MW) – for the consummation of “marriage”. *upa-gam* is a common
> verb for “having sex” in a general sense.
>

> In the given context, recent English translations use however “to rape” as
> an equivalent (see Olivelle 2005, p. 110). Interpretations follow suit:
> “Tantamount to rape” (Jamison in Olivelle & Davis (ed.), Hindu Law 2017, p.
> 130).
>

> Unless supported by unambiguous evidence, such readings should be treated
> as notionally anachronistic interpretations reflexively projected onto
> ancient India. What appears to be “rape”, or to be “tantamount to rape”, in
> the eyes of 21st century Western Indologists, does not necessarily
> represent the viewpoint of a (pre)modern Indian society.
>

> With regard to its connotation, Doniger (1991: 46) and Michaels (2010: 49)
> offer neutral and therefore more faithful translations of *upa-gam*: “to
> have sex with” and “Beischlaf”.
>

> Actually, we are in dire need of a substantial investigation into the
> history of the notions of “rape” as they prevailed in premodern India. This
> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )