Re: [INDOLOGY] camatkāra

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:14:44 UTC 2018

Keeping in mind that this is not a Heidegger-list, my point was merely to
draw

attention to a philosophical attempt by Heidegger to elucidate a particular

onto-phenomenological mode of aware-being that resembles *camatk**āra* as

employed "in all Utpaladeva-Abhinavagupta-Kṣemarāja’s works" (Torella) with

a meaning that differs from the meaning that became the communis opinion.

Referring in fact to Torella's adumbration of the connotative aspects of
*camatk**ā**ra*

(in his famous note: 1994: 118f.), I did not translate this term by
*Erstaunen*,

but indicated that Heidegger, in the noted section, tried to convey what he
means

by the "Wesen des Er-staunens". However, I resisted to imitate Heidegger's
mode

of marking a *non-**communis-opinion* employment of a term by writing
myself,

e.g., "as-tonishing". Hence my "rather astonishing" should somehow indicate

that he does not talk of *Erstaunen* in the ordinary sense of
*Staunen/Verwunderung*,

hence not in a sense that may be traced back to Greek sources.

To mix up these at least two different connotations by referring to a bunch

of passages in Heidegger's works does little – beyond usefully hinting at
passages

that may be studied for that purpose – to differentiate these.

Naturally, I consider it as fairly inappropriate to continue

discussing Heidegger on this Indology-list.

Best wishes,

Hartmut Buescher

.