[INDOLOGY] Esther A. Solomon

Olivelle, J P jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 25 11:52:19 UTC 2017

Dear Matthew:

This is not going to be something important, but I remember visiting Ahmedabad in 1975 with my wife, Suman. We visited the B.J. Institute and met with the Professor of Sanskrit Esther Solomon. Only after I visited and met her did I learn that she was an Indian Jew. She was so hospitable and kind to a young unknown scholar from the US. If not for the name, I would never have suspected that she was a Jew — wore a Gujarati saree and very much a Gujarati lady culturally. With best wishes,

Patrick