[INDOLOGY] Verses on Taptamudra

mbroo at abo.fi mbroo at abo.fi
Sat Oct 28 09:40:46 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am working on a text on Vaishnava rituals (HaribhaktivilAsa) that in
one of its chapters deals with taptamudrAdhAraNA. I am wondering what
source the mid-16th century author has used. The author refers to
several Puranic verses, but also obscure shruti sources such as the
yajuHkaThAzAkhA (dhRtordhvapuNDraH kRtacakradhArI...), and atharvan
(ebhir vayam urukramasya cihnair...). Such verses sound mAdhva to me,
and indeed they can be found in VijayIndra's CakramImAmsA, but that
text is a little too late to be the source for my text. My question
therefore is, are there any older mAdhva texts dealing with
TaptamudrAdhAraNA?

Best regards
Måns
--