[INDOLOGY] Northern and southern Devanagari

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 16:58:46 UTC 2017

Dear Martin,

It's a very interesting question. Vernacular manuscripts from the Gangetic
plain, Rajasthan, and Gujarat, from the late sixteenth through the
eighteenth centuries, also exhibit inconsistencies in the use of graphemes
like these (more so in the latter two regions). In those cases, I've
wondered if it was due to itinerant scribes (known to work in the region)
with little familiarity or investment in the texts, but in the end I don't
think this sufficiently explains the phenomenon. I have not been able to
discern any consistent orthographic logic in the instances that I have
seen. Am curious to hear what others have to say.

Best,
Tyler