[INDOLOGY] Autsanash Purana

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 01:03:32 UTC 2017

Thanks to Ashok, Dominik and Christophe for your replies.

Rana Singh replied to an email over the weekend, that the "Autsanash
Purana, is a sthala purana - no way standard or recognised one and neither
even published properly".
He claims that he consulted with a local pandit and his family regarding
this text and does not have a copy himself.
I asked about the spelling he uses but he didn't clarify this point, this
-t-, it seems, is more than a typo, as it appears in several publications
of his regarding this pilgrimage.

All the best,

Patrick McCartney, PhD
JSPS Fellow - Kyoto University
Visiting Fellow - Australian National University

Skype - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp:  +61 414 954 748
Twitter - @psdmccartney

*bodhapūrvam calema* ;-)

academia <https://patrickmccartney.academia.edu/>

   -

Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=241756978&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>

Edanz <https://www.edanzediting.com/expert/anthropology/patrick-mccartney>

Modern Yoga Research <http://www.modernyogaresearch.org/events/>

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> We seem to be speaking differently about the same information.  As Rocher
> and Hazra both say, there is no such upapurana *surviving today*.  The
> title is known from old lists, and the work may or may not have actually
> existed, it's hard to tell.
>
>> --
> Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
> ​,​
>
> Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
> ​,​
>
> Department of History and Classics
> <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
> ​,​
> University of Alberta, Canada
> ​.​
>
> South Asia at the U of A:
>
> ​sas.ualberta.ca​
> ​​
>

> On 2 October 2017 at 10:54, Christophe Vielle <
> christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>
>> There is in fact both an Auzanasa- and a -B.rhad-auzanasa-upapuraa.na.
>> Hereabout the pages 501-505 from R. C. Hazra, Studies in the Upapuraa.nas
>> vol. 2 (zaakta and non-sectarian upapuraa.nas), Calcuta: Sanskrit College,
>> 1963, nos. 3 & 6 (I remark that the pages in the 1979 ed. of the same are
>> different: pp. 621-625).
>>

>> Le 2 oct. 2017 à 17:41, Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :
>>
>> A quick look in the index of Ludo Rocher's fine history of puranic
>> literature shows an *Auśanasapurāṇa*, which is probably what Singh is
>> trying to refer to.  P. 138 gives more information about this "lost"
>> purāṇa, which is sometimes conflated with the *Vindhyamāhātmya*, that
>> Singh also cites.  That's probably the basis of the information that Singh
>> is garbling.

>> Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
>> ​,​
>>
>> Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
>> ​,​
>>
>> Department of History and Classics
>> <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
>> ​,​
>> University of Alberta, Canada
>> ​.​
>>
>> South Asia at the U of A:
>>
>> ​sas.ualberta.ca​
>> ​​
>>

>> On 27 September 2017 at 12:39, patrick mccartney via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Friends,
>>>
>>> Might anyone know something more or have a copy of the "autsanash
>>> purana" mentioned in this book?
>>>
>>> https://books.google.com.au/books?id=YQoaBwAAQBAJ&printsec=f
>>> rontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Rana+P.+B.+Singh+with+a+Foreword+
>>> by+John+McKim+Malville%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicpM_