[INDOLOGY] Grantha/South Indian Paleography Resources (Overview)

Charles DiSimone disimone at alumni.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 2 19:10:44 UTC 2017

Dear Friends,

This message serves to cap my query made last week, apologies for the
belated reply. Thanks to the list my current research has been greatly
helped.The swift and substantial amount of useful suggestions and resources
has once again proved the great utility of the Indology list! My thanks to
everyone who responded both on and off list. For the convenience of future
readers, I have compiled all of the resources publicly recommended below:

Reinhold Grünendahl, South Indian Scripts in Sanskrit Manuscripts and
Prints. Harrassowitz, 2001.

Elements of South-Indian Palæography, from the Fourth to the Seventeenth
Century, A. D.: Being an Introduction to the Study of South-Indian
Inscriptions and Mss
by Arthur Coke Burnell
Trübner & Company, 1878:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ywcIAAAAQAAJ

High resolution scan of Burnell’s "Elements of South­ Indian Palæography”
at archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/Burnell1878 (plates/tables of characters open,
not folded up)

Rath, Saraju. 2012. “Varieties of Grantha Script: The Date and Place of
Origin of Manuscripts.” In Aspects of Manuscript Culture in South India,
edited by Saraju Rath, 187–206. Leiden: Brill.

K. Venugopalam, A Primer in Grantha characters, publ. by James H. Nye, 1983
https://archive.org/stream/APrimerInGranthaCharacters/A%20Primer%20in%20Grantha%20Characters_djvu.txt
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/digbooks/dig_toc.html?BOOKID=PK419.V468_1983

Virtual Vinodh, Grantha Primer
http://www.virtualvinodh.com/wp/grantha/

And for Telugu:
Edward C. Hill, A Primer in Telugu characters, Indological Primers Series
ed. James H. Nye, New Delhi: Manohar, 1991
http://www.learningtelugu.org/files/A%20primer%20of%20Telugu%20charaters.pdf
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/digbooks/dig_toc.html?BOOKID=PL4772.H550_1991

Thanks again!
Charles

--
Dr. des. Charles DiSimone | Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Buddhist Digital Resource Center 佛教数字资源中心