[INDOLOGY] A Cumulative Supplement Dictionary of Sanskrit

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Wed May 31 17:41:08 UTC 2017

Dear Walter, Dear Jürgen,
This is an excellent initiative, thanks for sharing this significant new
research tool !

Since you base yourself on lexicographical works "seit den Petersburger
Wörterbüchern von O. Böhtlingk (speziell dem „pw“, 1879-89) und dem darauf
aufbauenden Werk von R. Schmidt (1928)" it is not immediately clear whether
pre-1928 critical studies in lexicography (critical of the remarkable work
done by Böhtlingk and Roth) have sufficiently been taken into account.
Think of Johann Georg Bühler 1894 The Roots of the Dhâtupâṭha not found in
Literature, Indian Antiquary 23 (1894) 141-154, 250-255; WZKM 8, 17-42,
122-136, partially reprinted in Staal J. F. (ed.) A Reader on the Sanskrit
Grammarians, MIT Press, 1972, 194-204.
J.G. Bühler is quite critical of earlier lexicographical efforts: “no
Sanskritist can afford to leave the modern vernaculars out of the range of
his studies, if he wishes really to understand the ancient language” (1894:
150).

I am curious why you list « Suppl[e]ment to Dictionary of Pāṇinian
Grammatical Terminology. » Annals of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research
Institute, vol. 90 (for 2009) : 127-151 (actual date of appearance: 2011),
but not Roodbergen's Dictionary of Pāṇinian Grammatical Terminology itself
(Pune: Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, 2008).

You have taken several lexicographical works of Louis Renou into account,
but I do not see
Renou, Louis. 1953. Vocabulaire du rituel védique. Paris: C. Klincksieck.
Renou, Louis. 1957. Terminologie Grammaticale du Sanskrit. 2e impression.
Paris: Champion.

I also miss in your list Caland, Willem and Victor Henry 1906-07:
L'Agniṣṭoma. Description complète de la forme normale du Sacrifice de Soma
dans le culte védique. Tome I-II. Paris: Ernest Leroux, which contains a
list of terms relevant to Vedic ritual.

Specific studies of medical terminology seem not to have received
sufficient attention in this stage of your project.
I guess that a study such as A. Raison, "Un dictionnaire de matière
médicale d'après les chapitres III à XII du Rajanighantu",  which appeared
in G.J. Meulenbeld (Ed.) (1984), 251--260, would be usable.

>From your reference to Oliver Hellwig's 2009 Wörterbuch der
mittelalterlichen indischen Alchemie with as specific topic "Mineralogy"
should we conclude that the contributions of this dictionary to other
fields such as alchemical instruments have not been used?

Jan Houben

*Jan E.M. HOUBEN*

Directeur d’Études

Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite

Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*École Pratique des Hautes Études*

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

54, rue Saint-Jacques

CS 20525 – 75005 Paris

johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr

https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben