Re: [INDOLOGY] Was Aśoka an iconoclast?

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Sun May 28 09:53:06 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

As far as I am concerned, falsification of historical evidence should be
called by its proper term. .

There is a difference between "he might have been" and "he was".

Aśoka's person is an object of sanctification, whatever the reasons behind
it. His Edicts are routinely decontextualized. Dr. Ambedkar's statement,
re: removal of idols, is a good example of such practice.

Best,

Artur K.