[INDOLOGY] Place of Origin of Mandana and Vacaspati

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:33:57 UTC 2017

The Śāṅkara-vijaya/digvijaya (8.1) texts and (therefore?) at least some modern accounts put Maṇḍana-miśra in Māhiṣmatī / Bihar.  I have not studied the matter in detail.

For  Vācaspati-miśra, I have heard Mithilā spoken of as his region. However, until the location of King Nṛga mentioned by him in the concluding verses of the Bhāmatī is determined, a definite conclusion does not seem possible. I consider Karṇāṭa(ka) as the best possibility in the present state of our knowledge. See my 2001 article, “The prologue and epilogue verses of Våcaspati-mißra-I." Rivista degli Studi Orientali 73: 105-130, which I had attached to my 15 May post.

a.a.