[INDOLOGY] BACHASPATI MISRA'S BHAMATI

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Mon May 15 19:18:32 UTC 2017

> On May 15, 2017, at 4:28 AM, alakendu das via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info <mailto:indology at list.indology.info>> wrote:
>
> Was Bachaspati Misra … a Vaishnava.?

The evidence in Vācaspati-miśra’s works suggests that he must have had Śaiva leanings. Cf. p. of my 2001 article “The prologue and epilogue verses of Vācaspati-miśra-I." Rivista degli Studi Orientali 73: 105-130.

Since the journal in which the article was published may not be easily accessible and since the article contains many other observations relevant to the history of Advaita Vedānta, Nyāya, etc., I attach a copy of it here.

Perhaps it would be relevant to note in this context that there were two great scholars named Vācaspati-miśra who were separated from each other by about five centuries. See Aklujkar, Ashok. 1998. "Våcaspati-mißra's Tattva-samikΩå and the last two verses in Yukti-d^pikå manuscripts." Adyar Library Bulletin 62: 125-165.

a.a.