[INDOLOGY] alternative solution for directly accessing Unicode diacritics on Mac

Tyler Neill tyler.g.neill at gmail.com
Fri May 12 11:21:31 UTC 2017

Dear all,

in addition to Prof. Deshpande's solution with Ukelele, I'd like to suggest
one more ready-made option for easily and directly accessing Unicode
combining diacritics on Mac (as opposed to correctly displaying the results
with custom fonts), which will hopefully be of general interest: the IPA
Unicode
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=uniipakeyboard#f5738dec>
keyboard
layout.

As a strange example:

t̥̄  (t with under-circle and macron)

Produced by typing with the "IPA Unicode" layout:

@2 (adds the under-circle) ('COMBINING RING BELOW' (U+0325))
&% (adds the macron) ('COMBINING MACRON' (U+0304))

Thus also, quickly and easily: r̥̄ l̥̄.

These are the useful combinations for Classical Sanskrit (i.e., what a
pre-installed layout like "US/ABC Extended" cannot do), but the
possibilities are almost endless (for which, use either the documentation
PDF provided on the download page or else the Mac "Keyboard Viewer"). I
don't yet know whether this is any sort of a solution for Vedic accents
etc. but I would be very curious to hear from those who try.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Tyler

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu