[INDOLOGY] Buddhasrijnana's Abhisamaya commentary

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at oeaw.ac.at
Wed May 10 12:29:35 UTC 2017

In his Hindi autobiography "Meri Jivan Yatra", Sankrtyayan writes that
he didn't have a camera suitable for photographing manuscripts at the
time (the journey was undertaken in 1934), only a Rolleiflex (which at
the most allowed him to take pictures of statues in monasteries).

Moreover, he also had no facilities to develop the photographs in situ
and therefore could not check whether they were ok -- and knew very
little on photography at the time.

He therefore took the trouble to transcribe everything that was
important to him (like the Vibhūticandra ms of Prajñākaragupta's
Pramāṇavārttikālaṅkāra, or an ms of Dharmakīrti's Vādanyāya).

If, therefore, there is no record that he took photographs of the
Abhisamayālaṅkāra comm. on one of his later journeys (1936 or 1938), I'd
say it's very unlikely that there are any (usable) photographs preserved
in Patna.

With best regards,

Birgit

>> On May 5, 2017, at 8:39 AM, Péter-Dániel Szántó via INDOLOGY
>> <indology at list.indology.info <mailto:indology at list.indology.info>> wrote:
>>
>> Rahul Sankrtyayan in his 1935 report wrote that he had seen and
>> photographed a 27-folio ms. of Buddhaśrījñāna's Abhisamayālaṃkāra
>> commentary in Lhasa.
>>
>> Does anyone know what became of these photos? They do not seem to be
>> kept in the Göttingen collection (I checked Bandurski's catalogue
>> relatively thoroughly).

_____
Prof. Dr. Birgit Kellner
Director
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstraße 11-13/2
A-1020 Vienna / Austria
Phone: +43-(0)1-51581-6420