Re: [INDOLOGY] Tracing a verse in the Purāṇas

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Tue May 9 17:21:09 UTC 2017

My apologies for giving the wrong reference in the Padmapurāṇa, and my
sincere thanks to Christophe for pointing this out. As I now see, the verse
being asked about is actually Padma-purāṇa 5.106.22, which is not
referenced in the verse-index in the Nag Publishers edition. This was found
by Shankara and posted on the Bharatiya-Vidvat-Parisat list.

The verse that Madhav asked about is:

bāhumūlakucadvandvayonisparśanadarśanāt

kasya na skhalati cittaṃ retaḥ skannaṃ ca no bhavet

As found in the Veṅkaṭeśvara Press edition reprinted by Nag Publishers,
Padma-purāṇa, Pāṭāla khaṇḍa (the 5th), adhyāya 106, verse 22, is:

bāhumūlakucadvaṃdvasvayonisparśadarśanāt

kasya na skhalate ceto retaḥ skannaṃ ca no bhavet

In the Ānandāśrama edition of the *Padmapurāṇam* (4 vols., 1893-1894), the
Pāṭāla khaṇḍa is the 4th rather than the 5th khaṇḍa. Here this verse is
found in adhyāya 102 rather than 106, but the verse number remains the
same, 22. Verse 4.102.22 in this edition (vol. 2, 1894, p. 682) is:

bāhumūlakucadvaṃdvasvayonisparśadarśanāt

kasya na skhalate cittaṃ retaḥ skannaṃ ca no bhavet

The other verse that Dge-'dun-chos-'phel quotes here, susnigdhaṃ romarahitaṃ,
etc., is 5.106.17 in the Veṅkaṭeśvara Press edition, and 4.102.17 in the
Ānandāśrama edition.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.