Re: [INDOLOGY] Tracing a verse in the Purāṇas

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Tue May 9 06:53:09 UTC 2017

> Pāṭāla khaṇḍa (the 5th), adhyāya 108, verse 20 reads
bāhumūlastharomau ca mamākārau tathānaghau |

atha brahmāṇam āhedaṃ bhaja tvekaṃ guṇaṃ bhavān ||

(Siva talking:
"The two reddish and fair, Brahmaa and Vi.s.nu are my two sons.) They are the fine soft hair of the armpits, they have my form and are innocent.
Then he said to Brahmaa: "You resort to (i.e. take) this one quality."
(transl. G.P. Bhatt, AITM 44, pp. 2187-88)

which does not at all correspond to
bāhumūlakucadvandvayonisparśanadarśanāt

kasya na skhalati cittaṃ retaḥ skannaṃ ca no bhavet

>From looking at and caressing [her] shoulders, breast and yoni, whose mind does not waver and whose seminal fluid would not drip?

following Karen Lang's translation in ?? (I do not know) quoted in the reference below

De: Christophe Vielle <christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be>
Objet: Rép : [INDOLOGY] Tracing a verse in the Purāṇas
Date: 7 mai 2017 18:11:11 UTC+2
À: Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu>

The whole book is here :
https://issuu.com/tenzinjemmynamdol/docs/gedun_chopel_-_tibetan_arts_of_love
the "1983 ed. " appears to refer to the Tibetan text.
I do not understand well to which writing of Karen Lang the author refers.
http://religiousstudies.as.virginia.edu/node/75
?
1999 “Women's Roles in Ancient India.“ In Women Roles in the Ancient Civilizations, ed. Bella Vivante. Westport CN: Greenwood Press, pp. 35-61.
1995a “Shaven Heads and Loose Hair: Buddhist Reflections on Sexuality.“ In Off With Her Head: The Denial of Women's Identity in Myth, Religion, and Culture. eds. Howard Eilberg-Schwartz and Wendy Doniger. Berkeley: University of California Press, pp. 32-52.
1982 “Images of Women in Early Buddhism and Christian Gnosticism.“ Buddhist-Christian Studies II: 95-105.
Best
Christophe

Le 9 mai 2017 à 03:03, David and Nancy Reigle via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :

> Dear Madhav,
>
> According to the verse-index of the Nag Publishers printing of the Padmamahāpurāṇam (so on title page), this is Pāṭāla khaṇḍa (the 5th), adhyāya 108, verse 20. I checked the text, and this reference is correct. As we know, but not stated on the copyright pages of the Nag Publishers printings of the purāṇas, they are photographic reprints of the Veṅkaṭeśvara Press editions published in manuscript form at Bombay in the early 1900s.
>
> The added verse-indexes to the Nag Publishers reprints are very helpful. I do not know of a cumulative verse index for all of the major purāṇas. This would be very helpful indeed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Reigle
> Colorado, U.S.A.
>
> On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
> I am trying to trace the following verse that is said to occur in the Padmapurāṇa.  I don't have an edition of the Padmapurāṇa with a verse index.  Is there a cumulative verse index to Purāṇas?  Any help is appreciated.
>
> bāhumūlakucadvandvayonisparśanadarśanāt
> kasya na skhalati cittaṃ retaḥ skannaṃ ca no bhavet
>

> Madhav Deshpande
> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve