[INDOLOGY] MR Kale biodata

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi
Tue Jun 27 08:07:31 UTC 2017

Dear Jesse, Mrinal and all,
I have often wondered it (and in fact been quite annoyed): Everybody uses Kales works, but nobody knows anything on him. I have not even found the dates of the birth and death of Moreśvar Rāmcandra Kāle. In his books he is styled B.A., in 1911/24 he was living in Girgaon and had a son, V. M. Kale, who published new editions of his father’s works. This is all! I really hope someone can give more information.

Karmarkar is easier. There are two obituary notices, by A. D. Pusalker, ABORI 46, 1965, 191f. and V. M. Bedekar, VIJ 4, 1966, 89-91 giving the basic information about the career of this Poona scholar.

Best,
Klaus

Klaus Karttunen
South Asian and Indoeuropean Studies
Asian and African Studies, Department of World Cultures
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358-(0)2941 4482418
Fax +358-(0)2941 22094