[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit reader

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 22:30:23 UTC 2017

Dear Dominik,

Thank you for also bringing Brough to my attention!

I think he, and the various other Readers in existence, have many strengths
and present excellent choices of texts, but at least those that don't focus
on one particular genre often either have no or far too few notes to help
students along. If, as we were talking about at an earlier point in this
exchange, we want to give students regular little success experiences, then
the right amount of notes, given in a format they are used to and right
there on the page, to me seems the best way forward.

The 'right amount of notes' will be interpreted differently by different
people; to me it means commenting on anything irregular, but also on
anything that, while regular, is difficult to recognise for whatever
reason, providing vocabulary, and briefly explaining matters of context.
The challenge then is to provide all this without making such a wealth of
notes confusing rather than helpful.

Thank you also for the link to his archive! Some of those items would be
fascinating to access.

All best,
    Antonia