Re: [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: Issues with Sanskrit 2003 font

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 15:39:36 UTC 2017

Dear Vikram,

Your plan to work on refining and expanding Sanskrit 2003 is excellent!
Since funding is needed, I recommend you consider a crowd-funding
initiative. That would fit the situation very well, allowing people to
contribute in a structured and transparent manner, and avoiding many legal
and financial problems.

Please, please give the font a new name, when your work is released. Even
if it's just Sanskrit 2003A.

About the design of Sanskrit 2003, I still like the font best, I think,
amongst the many Devanagaris available today.  Murty Sanskrit is my second
choice, and I would add that Murty Sanskrit looks better on paper than on
the screen.

However, about Sanskrit 2003, I find it a little compressed, horizontally.
The document processing system I use, TeX, allows me to tweak that as I
wish, and I have found that expanding Sanskrit 2003 by 8% horizontally
gives a result that is more pleasing to my eye.  It's a personal thing, but
perhaps worth thinking about.

Here are some samples <https://tinyurl.com/y96ufrog> of Sanskrit 2003
normal and stretched, with some other faces for comparison.

Best,
Dominik

​
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
​,​

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
​,​

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
​,​
University of Alberta, Canada