[INDOLOGY] Issues with Sanskrit 2003 font

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 01:11:05 UTC 2017

On 8 June 2017 at 17:25, Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Madhav,
>
> As far as I can see this is a problem with the font Sanskrit 2003 and it
> can't be solved without modifying the font  but I think modifying a font is
> prohibited under copyright law.

​In February this year, I was in correspondence with the Omkaranand Ashram
about the copyright of Sanskrit 2003.  I was urging them to be more
explicit about the freedom of the font.  In their opinion, the font is free
for all to use, and they only want to help and serve the world.  Here's
what the Swami said:

We do not know about this licensing stuff, but the Sanskrit 2003 font is
made available freely to anyone to use.

With kind regards,

Swami Satchidananda

Omkarananda Ashram Himalayas

Muni-ki-reti, Rishikesh, India

I imagine they would be fine with someone modifying the font.  Obviously it
would be sensible to give the modified font a slightly different name. And
it would be appropriate to return the modifications to the Ashram in case
they wish to make a new release themselves in future.

Everything the Ashram said to me makes leads me to believe that they would
never dream of taking anyone to court​ over the font, and that on the
contrary, they are glad that people are finding it useful.

Dominik

--
​| ​
Professor Dominik Wujastyk