Re: [INDOLOGY] André Padoux

Raffaele Torella raffaele.torella at uniroma1.it
Tue Jul 18 17:15:40 UTC 2017

Whenever I visited Paris I never missed to visit André at his home in rue Séguier, and once also at his country house along with my family. By saying André I implicitly also refer to his wonderful wife, Anne-Cécile (it is often true that very close to each great man there also is a great woman). The last years of André were deeply saddened by the tragic and absurd death of Anne-Cécile, yet he found the courage and energy to continue, some way ot other, his life as a man (or to be more precise, as a great gentleman) and a scholar.  I bitterly miss the great man and scholar he was.

Raffaele Torella

> Il giorno 17 lug 2017, alle ore 16:20, Isabelle Ratie via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> ha scritto:
>
> Indeed, he will be very much missed. André Padoux always claimed in his modesty that he was only a passionate dilettante who had accidentally come to be seen as a scholar, but he was of course much more than that - a great figure of French indology. My deepest condolences to his family.
> --
> Isabelle Ratié
> Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literatures
> Sorbonne Nouvelle (University of Paris 3)
> http://www.iran-inde.cnrs.fr/members/permanent-members/ratie-isabelle.html?lang=en <http://www.iran-inde.cnrs.fr/members/permanent-members/ratie-isabelle.html?lang=en>

> This is very sad news indeed. More than a great, inventive scholar, André
> was a magnificent human being. He will be very much missed.
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études,
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

Prof. Raffaele Torella
Chair of Sanskrit
Sapienza University of Rome