[INDOLOGY] Question on the word "purapati"

luther obrock luther.obrock at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 15:15:13 UTC 2017

Dear list,

Thanks for your response to my question on Indology.  Having seen the
Sircar definition of purapati, my question was really about what it would
mean to be the "mayor" of Delhi in the Sultanate period. If the patron on
this inscription, Uḍḍhara, was a purapati during the reign of Ghiyath
ud-Dīn Balban, would that make him a sort of government functionary in the
Sultanate? What is the remit of a purapati? Also what valence does the term
Yoginīpura have? It is used twice in conjunction with Delhi in
Jonarāja’s *Rājataraṅgiṇī.
 C*ompleted in 1459, it speaks of the citizens of Yoginīpura (
*yoginīpurapaura*) in verse 381 “lord of Yoginīpura” (*yoginīpuranātha*) in
verse 441. Both of these references come during the account of the Kaśmīrī
Sultan Shiḥāb ad-Din, who reigned from 1355-1373.

Thanks again for your responses, and I appreciate any thoughts!

Best,

Luther