[INDOLOGY] Catushpitha Tantra vs Hevajra Tantra

Lubomir Ondracka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Mon Jan 9 14:07:34 UTC 2017

Dear Paolo,

ask Peter-Daniel Szanto (All Souls College in Oxford). He wrote an excellent thesis on the Catuṣpīṭha. He discusses the problem of these four pīṭhas in the introductory section of his theses and shows how Sircar misunderstood the matter. If I remember well, Peter says that it's not clear why four chapters of the CP are so called (ātma, para, yoga, guhya) and that these names do not correspond to the content of particular chapters.

Regarding the chronology, according to Peter CP is older than Hevajratantra, but to date HT to "between seventh and middle of eighth centuries" seems to be to early.

Best,
Lubomir