[INDOLOGY] Attantya Abhava

Michael Williams michael.williams at univie.ac.at
Wed Jan 4 12:24:27 UTC 2017

My impression is that the categorisation of absence that becomes
standard in the Navya‐Nyāya tradition (i.e. the twofold division of
absence into mutual absence and relational absence, with relational
absence divided into prāg‐, pradhvaṃsa‐ and atyanta‐ abhāva) is first
found in Vācaspati Miśra's I Nyāyavārttikatātparyaṭīkā under sūtra
2.2.12. Not all earlier Nyāya‐Vaiśeṣika philosophers accept this scheme
of absence. An early Vaiśeṣika thinker to accept the same scheme of
absence is Śivāditya in the early passages of the Saptapadārthī. Matilal
(in the Navya‐Nyāya Doctrine of Negation, chapter 12) has a good
discussion of the historical development of the concept in pre‐Gaṅgeśa
Nyāya‐Vaiśeṣika philosophy. The standard manuals of Navya‐Nyāya (e.g.
Siddhāntamuktāvalī or Tarkasaṅgraha and their commentaries) have
detailed summaries of the concepts. Another good source is Stephen
Phillip's translation of Gaṅgeśa's Tattvacintāmaṇi.

Mike