Re: [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} a question regarding the usage of -gotra versus -sagotra

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Jan 3 15:46:01 UTC 2017

I was surprised to see that in the lists of gotras circulated on the web,
in many cases, the "sa" of "X-sagotra" has been attached to the name of the
gotra itself, i.e. "Xsa".  One can see several examples in the list below:

http://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Brahmin_gotra_system

This list includes "Ātreyasa", for instance, as a gotra-name.  The only way
I can think how this came about is a misanalysis of "Ātreya-sagotra" as
"Ātreyasa-gotra."  I have not checked the names listed in texts like the
Gotra-pravara-mañjarī to see if this phenomenon has affected the lists in
Sanskrit texts as well.

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA