Re: [INDOLOGY] plié squat

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 08:20:55 UTC 2017

Dear Dr Marina Orelskaya,

The issue was resolved through Patrick's offline conversation with me.

He found  utkaTa koNaasan to be close to the drill under discussion, except
that the hands were spread straight horizontally on either sides.

He found my suggestion

digantasama*baahu* utkaTa koNaasan

or

anuprastha*baahu* utkaTakoNaasan

as a good choice.

Arrai Mandi /Ardha mandali Sanskritization or Tamilization? Better to
accept both as synonyms and leave it at that.

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Marina Orelskaya via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> From: Marina Orelskaya <m_orelskaya at yahoo.com>
> To: <indology at list.indology.info>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 18:13:36 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] plié squat
> Dear Patrick,
>
> in Indian dance technique, the proper Sanskrit word for "arrai mandi" is
> ardhamaNDalI.
>

> Best,
> Dr. Marina V. Orelskaya
>

> ---
> Currently in Moscow: +7 985 646 23 17

> On Tue, 12/20/16, patrick mccartney <psdmccartney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Subject: [INDOLOGY] plié squat
>  To: "Indology List" <indology at list.indology.info>
>  Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 2:26 AM
>
>  Dear Friends,
>  Mostly just for a bit of fun I am translating a
>  video of a friend's yoga class from her website into
>  Sanskrit. Having transcribed her instructions I am now in
>  the process of translating it. This is also part of a larger
>  (side)-project to look at the 'grammar of yoga
>  classes'. I am trying to build up a corpus of linguistic
>  material from yoga classes. I will eventually add to the
>  video transliterated subtitles and a dubbed audio channel as
>  well.
>  My question for the list is: how you might
>  translate plié, as in a plié
>  squat.
>  Below are some terms for 'squatting'
>  in spokensanskrit.de, but
>  I'm curious to know if there is a more closer way to
>  translate it than the options below.
>
>  उत्कुटकutkuTakaadj.squattingपर्यङ्कबद्धparyaGkabaddhaadj.
> squattingपल्यङ्कpalyaGkam.squatting
>  I'm wondering if there is a
>  bhāratanāṭyam term that might get closer. My
>  current choice is: arrai mandi, however, as someone
>  who has 0% knowledge of Tamil, I'm not sure if I have
>  transliterated this correctly OR if it is the best choice of
>  dance positions that represents a plié
>  squat.
>  Thanks in advance.
>
>  All
>  the best,
>
>  Patrick McCartney,
>  PhDFellowSchool of Culture,
>  History & Language
>  College of the Asia-Pacific
>  The Australian National University
>  Canberra, Australia, 0200
>

>  Skype - psdmccartneyPhone + Whatsapp:  +61 414 954
>  748Twitter -
>  @psdmccartney
>

>  academiaLinkedin
>  Edanz

> [...]