Re: [INDOLOGY] plié squat

Marina Orelskaya m_orelskaya at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 18:13:36 UTC 2017

Dear Patrick,

in Indian dance technique, the proper Sanskrit word for "arrai mandi" is ardhamaNDalI.

Best,
Dr. Marina V. Orelskaya

---
Currently in Moscow: +7 985 646 23 17

 Subject: [INDOLOGY] plié squat
 To: "Indology List" <indology at list.indology.info>
 Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 2:26 AM

 Dear Friends,
 Mostly just for a bit of fun I am translating a
 video of a friend's yoga class from her website into
 Sanskrit. Having transcribed her instructions I am now in
 the process of translating it. This is also part of a larger
 (side)-project to look at the 'grammar of yoga
 classes'. I am trying to build up a corpus of linguistic
 material from yoga classes. I will eventually add to the
 video transliterated subtitles and a dubbed audio channel as
 well.
 My question for the list is: how you might
 translate plié, as in a plié
 squat.
 Below are some terms for 'squatting'
 in spokensanskrit.de, but
 I'm curious to know if there is a more closer way to
 translate it than the options below.

 उत्कुटकutkuTakaadj.squattingपर्यङ्कबद्धparyaGkabaddhaadj.squattingपल्यङ्कpalyaGkam.squatting
 I'm wondering if there is a
 bhāratanāṭyam term that might get closer. My
 current choice is: arrai mandi, however, as someone
 who has 0% knowledge of Tamil, I'm not sure if I have
 transliterated this correctly OR if it is the best choice of
 dance positions that represents a plié
 squat.
 Thanks in advance.

 All
 the best,

 Patrick McCartney,
 PhDFellowSchool of Culture,
 History & Language
 College of the Asia-Pacific
 The Australian National University
 Canberra, Australia, 0200

 Skype - psdmccartneyPhone + Whatsapp:  +61 414 954
 748Twitter -
 @psdmccartney

 academiaLinkedin
 Edanz

 #yogabodyANU2016
 symposium
 Ep1 -
 Imagining Sanskrit Land
 Ep 2 -
 Total-am
 Ep 3 - Jalam ≠
 Chillum
 Ep 4 -
 It's Time to get Married
 Day in our Ashram
 Stop animation short film of Shakuntala

 Forced to Clean Human
 Waste
 One
 of my favourite songs
 The
 Philosophy of Cycling
 Plato's
 Cave
 Endangered
 Languages MOOC
 Blackfella-Whitefella

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

 (messages to the list's managing committee)