[INDOLOGY] Indian criticisms of astrology?

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sat Feb 4 07:55:28 UTC 2017

Thank you for the clarifications, Walter.

> daiva is the result of past actions (/pūrva karman/). Past actions are
> ultimately past efforts (/pauruṣa/). As efforts, past and present
> efforts do not differ in their nature. As they do not differ, it is
> possible to conquer the results of past actions by stronger
> counteractive measures (/para-pauruṣa/) of today. Therefore, past
> karma can be overcome by human effort. It is not inescapable. It
> cannot be  predicted by daivajñas as they cannot know the efforts a
> human might or might not be willing to take. For, it is a matter of
> free will, and that is also a matter where the whole topic becomes
> really interesting.

The opinion of the author of the MU seems to differ only by degree from
the general consensus of Indian astrologers, then: he claims that /all
/effects of past action may be counteracted by present action; they say
that /some /effects (/adṛḍha-karman/) may be so counteracted, while
others (/dṛḍha-karman/) are too powerful and therefore must take effect.
Both operate within a framework of karma theory.

In the case of a person who is not willing to make any great effort to
change his 'fate', then, I suppose our author would agree that the
person's actions from previous lives will largely determine his present
one. The question that I am really after is this: would he then accept
the celestial mechanics studied and interpreted by astrologers as
accurately reflecting such /karma-phala/? But perhaps that is not a
topic that comes up in the MU.

Best wishes,
Martin