[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Re: help on a citation

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Aug 31 17:43:36 UTC 2017

Hello François,

As I understand, the commentary is trying to account for the expression
"miśrau glau".  If we understand the expression "g-l" as a dvandva
compound, then the dual affix "au" could be interpreted as relating to each
member of the dvandva compound, and this can allow the compound to refer to
groups like "g-g" and "l-l" as well.  These units are referred to by the
commentary with the word miśra.
There is a commonly repeated convention (nyāya): dvandvāt paraḥ śrūyamāṇaḥ
śabdaḥ pratyekamabhisambadhyate.  Another wording found elsewhere is:
dvandvānte śrūyamāṇaṃ padaṃ pratyekam abhisambadhyate.

Madhav Deshpande