[INDOLOGY] Grammar of the Jain phrase

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Aug 26 11:26:01 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

     Someone recently asked me the meaning of the Jain phrase "micchāmi
dukkaḍam".  On most of the web sources, the explanation is given like this:
micchā mi dukkaḍam (Skt. mithyā me duṣkr̥tam) meaning "May my evil deed be
ineffective".  I am wondering whether micchāmi in this phrase is originally
"mā+icchāmi" and the phrase meaning: "May I not wish evil."  In several
textual contexts, micchāmi occurs with other first person singular verbs
like khāmemi: मिच्छामि दुक्कडम् खामेमि सव्व जीवे, सव्वे जीवा खमंतु मे।  I
will appreciate any light that our Prakrit scholars can shed on this.  With
best wishes,

Madhav Deshpande