[INDOLOGY] Starting a new academic journal

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Wed Aug 23 14:04:34 UTC 2017

Well, it's not exactly that "these journals are openly available on the internet" if you understand "openly" as an Open Access. Your institution has to have a subscription to a particular JSTOR collection to access a specific journal (e.g. JAOS articles are free for download at JSTOR only for the years 1843–1922).

And JSTOR's main goal (similarly as in the case of all other paid platforms) is to maximize their profit, so they distribute journals of one subject area into several (typically almost all) collections forcing academic institutions to buy all of them (at present JSTOR has fifteen Arts & Sciences collections). Since it's very expensive to buy all collections, many institutions have subscription only for the first 3–5, or for the so called JSTOR Essential which includes about one third of all titles.

So even if your institution has a subscription to JSTOR, very rarely it is a subscription to ALL collections, so many important Indological journals still remain inaccessible to most of us. So I fully support Dominik's urge for publishing in truly OA journals or in journals where the author is the copyright holder and a contract alows her/him to upload some version of the article at some OA platform (like academia.edu).

Best,
Lubomir