[INDOLOGY] Female name Bhaayi?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 03:11:13 UTC 2017

>there is practically no variation across manuscripts (I have now located a
third one) or metres. They all read *bhāyi* or *bhāi* -- I have not so far
seen a single instance lacking the aspiration. That was what made me wonder
in the first place.

                                          Prof. Aklujkar's " It was not
unusual to write the non-Sanskrit words as one heard them" solves the
problem of bhāi version of bāī being consistently followed through out. It
is not a scribal error. It is a variant pronunciation sincerely represented
consistently.

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.