[INDOLOGY] Female name Bhaayi?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 08:37:51 UTC 2017

I am sure, most of you must be aware of the female name ending bāī /bāyī/
bāy /bā found in many contemporary northern particularly north-western
languages.

Pingree's version is possibly bāī >vāī, such a phonetic change b<>v being
quite common many Indian languages.

The bhāī version could possibly be a hyperstandardization or scribal error.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Martin Gansten via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> According to David Pingree (CESS A5: 335), the astrological author
> Yādavasūri (early 17th century, Gujarat?) lived in a place called Vāī. In
> support, Pingree quotes the author's *Tājikayogasudhānidhi* (16.27):
>
> śrīvatsasaṃjñād dvijapuṅgavādyaḥ śrīvāīnāmni supure ca sādhvī |
> śrīyādavena vyaracīha tena sudhānidhis tājikayogapūrvaḥ ||
>
> This is neither metrically nor syntactically satisfactory. On examining a
> manuscript of the text, I found that it read:
>
> śrīvatsasaṃjñād dvijapuṅgavād yaṃ śrībhāyināmnī suṣuve ca sādhvī |
> śrīyādavena vyaracīha tena sudhānidhis tājikayogapūrvaḥ ||
>
> Yādavasūri thus appears to give his mother's name as *śrībhāyi*. I have
> not come across this name before -- can anyone confirm that it exists?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Martin Gansten

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.