[INDOLOGY] Gita meter

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Apr 17 11:15:14 UTC 2017

Hello Edwin,

     In her article "The Mahabharata's Core" (1975), Mary Carroll Smith has
argued that there was an ancient core of the Mahabharata in Triṣṭubh
verses, which was later expanded by the addition of the narrative in
Anuṣṭubh.  I am not sure how this would account for the metrical variation
in the Bhagavadgita, but there is a suggestion from this article.

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA